26) Take Me To Nirvana

The aesthetic of „African Lullaby“, a piece by Dave Holland, in mind I wrote a new composition for our duo. 

At our concert in Essen in NOV 2017 Fr. Prof. Dr. Ilse Storb named it „Take Me To Nirvana“
It is a rhythmic layer composition in an odd meter. The different parts match each other and can be combined freely. This concept requires a deeper understanding of the rhythmic levels and a will to freely decide what to contribute to the music in the ever coming next moment.

Unfortunately we did not record the composition so far. 
In Essen we did not record. And in Cologne finally we didn't play this tune. 

Following  the suggestion of Leon Lhoest I brought my handwritten score to the Sibelius program. 
I put down all the layers. Then draw a possible development of how the lines come in and change and morph. And I wrote a draft for a possible piano solo. 

I thought about a cued ending. Which I like. Since the piece itself is vague and develops different each time, I feel it is nice to know where and how it ends. 

This is the score and the drawn audio: 

I also put in the Dave Holland composition "African Lullaby", that I had as an inspiration in mind. 

What I feel by now about the piece in this setting: 
It does not have a clear form, does not have a particular melody. It is a bit odd, when certain figures come in. It is written in a meter that it not used so often. And it builds certain figures over a period of two bars. All that is an experiment to play it together with Thaung Htike. But it is possible. And we had versions that sounded nice. 
Thaung Htike had favorite lines, he liked the more simple lines. 
That also has to do with the fact that he likes to memorize his music parts.
When you play the drum circle you don't have much time to read, because you move around all of the time. But now with still some time until our concerts, he could memorize some more bits, and that might finally bring the excitement of the piece. 
Also I still have to practice to be safe in my lines. And I need to understand which lines I can add singing while playing another line. So I might by times play 3 different lines. 

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

9) Myanmar Meets Europe - How It All Began...

29) Sein Bo Din / Comp.: Hein Tint / Band Arrangement: Christoph Hillmann

41) Laia Genc Master Of Music: Jazz / Pop Voice 2016 - 2018